Friday, September 12, 2008

Another day, another....duck

Ok, so you all know that I LOVE my animals! But seriously, something has to give! When my parents very first bought their house (pre Bryon days) I just happened to come home with some baby ducks. I thought they would be so cute in our backyard, which they are, don't get me wrong, but when you buy them as babies, you don't know whether they are drakes or hens. We have lucked out and even though we have had ducks come and go, we have never had an issue like this one. Our old hen that has somehow made it from day one lays eggs every day throughout the summer. Every morning when the dogs get out they find the eggs and eat them. This has been our system, this has worked. Our latest batch of ducks came with one hen and 3 drakes. This hen figured out that if she layed her eggs in the duck house behind our barn that the dogs couldn't get to them. We realized they were back there too late. After an incident earlier this summer when the dogs got to some eggs that where almost "done cookin'" I cried when I saw them eat them. So when we found the new eggs I didn't know how long they had been there, but I couldn't bear the thought of throwing them away or letting the dogs have them, so we waited. I honestly thought that because they were back there so long that they weren't fertilized and would never hatch. I was wrong. On monday we were blessed with four little additions to our ever expanding ranch. Then on Wednesday we were blessed with on more. They are so cute and Madi LOVES them. I think she thinks they are the ducks she plays with in the tub. She wanted to hold them so bad, but they are a little bit too squirrely for her and the momma duck is NOT pleasant to be around right now! YIKES!!

Any body want some ducks? Ü

2 comments:

Hayden and Kelly said...

Uh- she is so cute! How much fun for her! She will love watching them grow! I LOVE the picture of her petting it. So sweet!

Susan Brady said...

Love the Hair! She is soo cute. I have one thing to say about the ducks, they leave droppings every where.